Tuesday, January 11, 2011

10. snow

it's snowing.

i really like snow.

there's something special in how she tucks us away in her safe white blanket, encouraging us to stay at home and to spend time being cozy and comfortable with loved ones.

some of my fondest memories of childhood were snow days. those magical days when we all awoke to the best news ever: no school. only bundling up and building snowmen, eating snow cream, and putting our bodies into states of near exhaustion.

there was this one wintery day when i was in seventh grade where i hadn't done my math homework for the day. the bus had just dropped us off at school and we were all gathering in the gym, waiting for the bell to ring (my middle school had bus riders and car riders all gather in the gymnasium before we made our way to homeroom). i was stressing out inside a little when one of my friends reached over and picked an eyelash off my cheek.

"you have an eyelash" she said. "here, make a wish."

the only thing i could think to do was wish for it to snow.

right before math class, it started snowing heavy enough for school to be cancelled. we were dismissed early. and it was magical.

too bad i still didn't do my math homework. i was too busy playing.

it's unfortunate that real life doesn't have a snow day every once and a while.

watching the snow arrests me. i could sit and stare out my window forever as those delicate white flakes as they gently descend from the heavens and grace our muddled streets with what seems like a beautiful gift from the gods.

like a blank word processing document or sheet of printer paper, the snow is a untouched canvas of possibility. for all of us.

and it reminds me of peace. and everything i'm trying to accomplish this year. forgetting the etiquette, the rules of style, the social graces - what is most important to me this year is that i truly embody the gentle man.

i want to be a man of peace. of kindness. of consideration. of chivalry and honor.

and i will let the snow be a reminder as i trudge through it tomorrow to hold doors and to say please and thank you. to give up my seat on the subway if need be. to not just force my way through the storm, but to help others survive her with me. unselfishly. so that we may all enjoy this snow day. together.

3 comments:

  1. ran across this post this morning during my daily blog reading...thought you might like this for yourself or your mister

    http://erinmcdermott.com/how-i-love-stationery/forgetful-gentleman

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHEA! this is amazingggggg! thank you for thinking of me and sending this my way!

    ReplyDelete